DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCES
The vision of the department is:
- To be the leading Department in Research and Teaching towards the economic and developmental growth of the nation through ICT.
(1) Stimulate sustained interest and enthusiasm in computer science;
(2) Train students the necessary computing knowledge and skills required to provide effective and timeless computer service;
(3) Train students with a solid background in computer science and knowledge that are required for post graduate studies and research;
(4) Conduct research to advance the state of the art in computer science and integrate its innovations into other disciplines.
PURPOSE, AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE DEGREE PROGRAMME
The purpose, aims and objectives of Bachelors honors degree programme in Computer Science should include:
- To create in students the awareness of and enthusiasm for computer science and its capabilities.
- To involve the students in an intellectually stimulating and satisfying experience of learning
- To provide a broad and balanced foundation in computer science knowledge and practical
- To develop in students through education in computer science a range of applicable
transferable skills of information technology to all aspects of human endeavors.
- To generate in students an appreciation of the importance of computer in an industrial,
economic, technological and social context.
- To provide students with the knowledge and skills base for further studies in computer science or multi-disciplinary studies involving computer science.
ADMISSION AND GRADUATION REQUIREMENT
The entry requirements shall be at least credit level passes in five subjects including English Language, Mathematics, and Physics to form the core subjects with credit in any other two relevant science subjects, at the Senior Secondary School Certificate or its equivalent.
An acceptable pass in a combination of English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics in UTME is required for admission into 100 level.
Candidates with two A-level passes (graded A-E) at the Advanced Level in one or more relevant subjects (Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics) may admitted into 200 level for a three year programme.