The subject matter of Management and Social Sciences is man, his management and behaviour in society. It involves the study of human behaviour, its environment, management, administration and its element, and the interaction among these. Its knowledge and approach are inevitable for improving the quality of human life. The various disciplines in the management and social science study human behaviour from their special standpoint. However, being a dynamic area of study, there are different standpoints which constitute the various disciplines in the Management and Social Sciences which we belief that adequate training in these discipline will develop the mind, impart both theoretical and practical knowledge on the individual students, develop self-confidence, help to innovate and self-reliant in the field.
(i) The need to describe, explain, predict human behaviour and the socio-cultural environment;
(ii) The need to avoid unnecessary human biases as well as the trial and error approach to social problems through the formulation of appropriate hypotheses and theories of Social Science
(iii) The need to raise our consciousness in public socio-economic and other national policies;
(iv) The need to provide basic knowledge and skill needed for the understanding and analysis of problems related to the management and administration of industrial, commercial, public and other human organisations;
(v) The need to equip students with knowledge and skills of decision making; especially the analytical skills needed for recognising, defining and solving problems; and
(vi) The need to develop in students, leadership and interpersonal relations skills in management.
DAVID ADETUYOLE OLUFEMI OTUBANJO is a professor of Political science. Taught Political Science for 30 years at the
University of Ibadan (1977 2007). Served in various capacities, during this
(1) Consulting Editor/Columnist at the African Newspapers of Nigeria-Publishers of the Tribune Newspapers, 1984 1988.
(2) Member of the Editorial Board/Columnist at the GUARDIAN Newspapers, 1989 1994.
(3) Head, Department of Political Science, University of Ibadan, 1990 1992.
(4) Professor of Political Science, University of Ibadan, 1989 2007 (retired voluntarily in 2007).
(5) Special Adviser (Political) to the Chief of General Staff (under Gen. Oladipo Diya/Admiral Mike Akhigbe) 1994 1998.
(6) Executive Secretary of the ALF FOUNDATION, 1999 2000.
(7) Political Adviser, PDP (South-West), 2000 2006.
(8) Delegate to the National Political Reform Conference, 2005.
(9) Special Assistant (Director) in the PDP National Headquarters, 2006 2008.
(10) Special Assistant in the YarAdua/Goodluck Campaign Headquarters and Co-ordinator of Logistics and Operations during the National Campaign Tour, 2007.
(11) Chairman Committee for the Conduct of State Congress for the Election of State Executive Council of the PDP in GOMBE STATE, December, 2007.
(12) Chairman, Committee for the Conduct of PDP primaries for ADHOC DELEGATES, in Niger State, December, 2010.
(13) Chairman, Committee for the conduct of PDP primaries for NATIONAL DELEGATES, in Niger State, January, 2011.
(14) Political Adviser to the Ag. National Chairman of the PDP, January July, 2011/Member, Jonathan/Sambo Campaign Organisation, January May, 2011.