David Adetuyole Olufemi
DATE OF BIRTH: 17th
PRESENT BUSINESS ADDRESS: COLLEGE
OF ARTS, MANAGEMENT AND
ACADEMIC SPECIALISATION: International Relations/Strategic
Studies and Political Theory
1. University of Ife 1968 1971
2. University College, Cardiff (University
of Wales, U.K.) 1972 1976
3. London School of Economics and Political
of London) 1976 - 1977
1. B.A. (Honours) History and Philosophy,
Class Upper Division), University of Ife June,
2. Ph. D., Philosophy, University of Wales
(at Cardiff) June, 1976
3. M.Sc (Economics) International Relations,
University of London (at the London
School of Economics
Political Science) September, 1978
FELLOWSHIP AND PRIZES:
1. Western Nigeria Scholarship 1969
2. University of Ife Staff Development Award 1972 1976
3. Inter-University Seminar on Armed Forces
and Society grant 1980
4. USAID GRANT for Foreign Policy Study Tour
United States of America 1987
1. Member, Faculty Board of the Social
Sciences 1977 1994, 1998 - 2007
2. Member, Faculty Planning Committee 1979 1982
3. Secretary, Academic Staff Union of Universities
(Ibadan) May 1980 Feb. 1983
4. Member, ASUU National Delegates
Conference 1980 1982
5. Coordinator, Department Post Graduate
Affairs 1983 1990
6. Member, Faculty Post Graduate Committee 1983 1992
7. Member, University Post Graduate
Committee 1983 1992
8. Member of Senate, University of Ibadan(as
Acting Head of Department) 1990
9. Acting Head of Department of Political
University of Ibadan Feb. 1990 April 1992
10. General Secretary, Kings Secondary Old Boys
(Western zone) 1989
11. Member, Board of Directors, Ogun State
Library Board 1991 1993
12. General Secretary, Ago-Iwoye Secondary
Boys Association (National) 1991 1994
13. Member, University of Ibadan Senate as full
1994 June 2007
14. Special Adviser to the Chief of General
Vice Chairman, Provisional Ruling
Council 1994 -
15. Delegate, National Political Reform
16. Executive Secretary, ALF Foundation, Abuja 2000 2002
17. Special Assistant, PDP National
Secretariat, Abuja 2006 Date
18. Special Assistant (Campaigns and
National Campaign Office. Jan.1-
May 31, 2007 19
19. Political Adviser to the Ag. National
PDP National Secretariat, Abuja January
20. Dean, School of Arts and Social Sciences,
NOUN July 29, 2013
21. Contract Professor,
Department of Political Science, Federal University, O ye, Ekiti,
22. Dean, College of Arts, Management and
Social Sciences/Professor of Political Science, CHRISLAND UNIVERSITY, Abeokuta,
1. Member, Editorial Board & Columnist,
Tribune Newspapers 1985 1988
Editorial Board & Columnist, Guardian Newspapers 1989 1994
3. Chairman, African Democratic Heritage
Foundation (NGO) 1991 1993
4. Member, Review Panel on the National
Universities Commission 2000
5. Political Adviser to the PDP National
Vice Chairman (South-West) 2001 2005
AND EXTRA CURRICULUM ACTIVITIES
1. Awarded Fellowship of the International
Armed Forces and Society 1984
2. Staff Adviser, Journalist Club,
University of Ibadan 1984
3. Patron, World University Service, Ibadan 1988 1994
4. Patron, Vogue Corps Diplomatic, Ibadan 1988
5. Patron, Vogue Corporation, Ibadan 1990
Conference on Planning Strategies
and Security Session) 1978
7. Visiting Academic, London School of
8. Raporteur / Chairman, Conference on 5th
Plan (Defence & Security Panel) Feb.
9. Raporteur, WHO Conference on Health for
all by year 2000 April
10. Associate Director, African Philosophical
11. Consulting Editor, Nigerian Tribune Dec.86
12. Lecturer at Training Weeks of the 2nd
the Nigerian Army and the Logos Garrison Organisation 1978 1984
13. Associate Lecturer, National Institute,
Kuru, Jos. 19801984/1993
14. Resource Person, Foreign Service Academy,
Lagos 1978 &
15. USIA Participant in the US Foreign Policy
Making Project, USA Nov-Dec 1987
of the Editorial Board of the Guardian 1990
17. Resources Person, National War College 1992
18. Resource Person, Obafemi Awolowo Foundation 1993
19. University of Ibadan Representative on the
for Environmental Education and Research
(based in Tufts University, Medfor,
Mass, (USA) 1990 - 1994
20. Awards for Best Lecturer and Best Course
(Pos, 313) in the
Faculty of Social Science, University
of Ibadan 1994
MEMBERSHIP OF LEARNED
Political Science Association
Society of International Affairs
Inter University Seminar on Armed Forces and Society.
Panel on Armed Forces and Conflict Resolution
Sociologica l Association.
DETAILS OF TEACHING
EXPERIENCE ATUNIVERSITY LEVEL
1. Graduate Assistant, University of Ife 1971 1976
2. Lecturer II, University of Ibadan 1977
3. Lecturer I, University of Ibadan 1979
4. Visiting Scholar, London School of
Political Science, University of Ibadan 1983
5. Senior Lecturer, University of Ibadan 1982 1989
6. Professor, Univesity of Ibadan 1989
7. Director, Masters of Strategic Studies
(collaboration with National War
8. Raporteur, WHO Conference on
Health for all by year 2000 April
9. Associate Editor, African Philosophical Inquiry 1986
10. Consulting Editor, Nigerian Tribune
11. Lecturer at Training Weeks of the 2nd
Nigerian Army and the Logos Garrison Organisation 1978 / 1994
12. Associate Lecturer, National Institute,
Kuru, Jos 1980-84/93
13. External Assessor, university of Abuja 1998
14. External Assessor, University of Lagos 1998
15. External Assessor, Ogun State University (now OOU) 1999
16. External Examiner, University of Ghana @ Legon 2010
17. Professor of Political Science, NOUN 2012 Date
18. External Assessor, Legon Centre for International
and Diplomacy (LECIAD)
COURSES TAUGHT AT
1972 Introduction to Philosophy (Ife).
1994 The International Political
System and Africa.
1979 Insurgency and
1979 Conflicts and Conflict
1983 Issues in International
2007 Foreign Policy of African States.
2007 History of Political Thought.
2007 Problems of Political Philosophy.
2007 Contemporary Theories of International
COURSES TAUGHT AT POST
Date Foreign Policy.
1989 Theories of International
1985 Issues in Contemporary
2007 Nigerias Foreign Policy
(Masters in Strategic Studies).
i. M.Sc. (Political Science)Supervised
over one hundred (100) Masters dissertations between 1980 and 2006.
Supervised twenty (20) Ph.D. Candidates
between 1980 and 2012.
ARTICLES AND MONOGRAPHS
D.A.O (1985) National Security, Tamuno, T.N. & Atanda, J.A. (Ed): Government and Public Policy (Volume 4):
Nigerian Government and Politics:
The First Twenty-Five
Heinemann Educational Publishers,
D.A.O. (1985) Taxonomy and Paradigms in Nigerias Foreign Policy Analysis in
Nweke, G.A. (ed) Twenty-five Years of
Nigerian Foreign Policy, Nsukka, Nigeria Society of International Affairs,
Chapter 3 Pp. 45-67.
D.A.O. (1986) Issues in Nigerian
Politics, New Horn Press and Heinemann Educational Publishers, Ibadan.
(Edited the Collection).
D.A.O. (1986) Understanding Nigeria:
Introduction of Otubanjo, D.A.O. (ed) Issues
in Nigeria Policies, Ibadan, New Horn Press & Heinemenn Educational
Publishers, Chapter 2, Pp. 12 21.
D.A.O. (1986) Choosing a Constitution Otubanjo D.A.O. (ed) Issues in Nigerian Politics Ibadan, New
Horn Press & Heinemann Education Publishers, Ch. 2, Pp 12 21.
D.A.O. & Suberu R. (1986) The Federal Character Principle
R. Suberu) in Otubanjo D.A.O. (ed) Issues
in Nigerian Politics Ibadan,
Horn Press and Heinemann Publishers, Chapter 4, Pp. 53 73.
D.A.O. & Suberu R (1986) The Politics of Ecological Disaster
R. Suberu) Issues in Nigerian Politics New Horn Press and Heinemann
Books Chapter 11 Pp. 221 235.
D.A.O. (1988) The Future of Nigeria Conclusion of Issues in Nigeria Politics Ibadan, New Horn Press and Heinemann
D.A.O (1988) Themes in African Political Thought in Ayoade J. A.A. &
Agbaje, A.A. (ed): African Political
Thought and Institutions Lagos, Centre for Black Africa Arts and
Civilization. Chapter 1, Pp. 3 17.
D.A.O. (1992) (ed) Understanding
Democracy, Book-craft for African Democratic Heritage Foundation, 317pp
D.A.O. (1992) Divinity, Destiny and Democracy in Understanding Democracy, Book-craft for African Democratic Heritage
D.A.O. (1979) Wittgeinteinism and Magico Religious beliefs
Theoria to Theory, (Cambridges, UK) V.13 No. Pp. 149-162.
D.A.O. (1980) Army Size and the Future of Politics in Nigeria Plural
Societies V. 11 No. 2 Pp. 25 42.
D.A.O. (1980) Ideology and Military integration in Africa Presence Africa No.
116. 4th Quarterly P.64-75 also in Current Research on Peace and Violence. (TARRI/FINLAND). Vol. 3
(3-4 Pp. 216-228).
D.A.O. (1981) African Guerrillas and
Indigenous Governments Conflicts Quarterly (Canada) Vol. 1 No. 4,
Spring 1981, Pp. 32 41.
D.A.O. (1981) Determining the impossible Nigerian Journal of Philosophy Vol.
1, No. 2 Pp. 47 60.
E and Otubanjo D.AO (1983) Attitude of Nigeria Students to Human Rights Journal of Social Behaviour and Personality
(USA) Pp. 91 96.
D.A.O. (1984) Rationality and Irrationality in Anthropological Theories of
Religion Ibadan Journal of Humanistic
Studies No. 3 Pp. 99 - 112.
D.A.O. (1984) The Nuclear Factor in
the Politics of Apartheid and Liberation
Conflict Quarterly (Canada) Vol. 4 Pp 22 40.
D.A.O. (1983 1984) The Status of Non-Alignment in the Foreign Policies of
Militarily Aligned African States Problems of Non-Alignment Vol. No. 4 Pp.363
D.A.O (1985) The Strategic and Political Role of the Nigerian Airforce Commissioned for Air Force Seminar Makurdi.
D.A.O. (1986) An Assessment of the Report and Recommendations of the Committee
on the Mass Mobilization Strategies for Social and Economic Development for
the Federal Ministry of Development,
Youth and Sports, Lagos.
D.A.O. (1986) Mass Mobilisation for Economic Development, Self-Reliance and
Social Justice: Programme of Action for the Federal Ministry of Social
Development, Youth and Sports, Lagos.
D.A.O. (1986) Yoruba Politics and Yoruba Leadership
D.A.O (1986) Ethnic Interests and Political Alignments: The failure of the
Progressive Parties Alliance (Plural
Societies) Vol. 26 Pp 174 - 188.
D.A.O. (1986) Language and Meaning in Anthropology Nigerian Journal of Social Studies (Nsukka) Vol.
3 No. 1, Pp. 19 - 29.
D.A.O. (1987) Understanding Rituals Orita:
African Journal of Religion
29 No.1 Pp. 20 39.
A. B. Agbi & Otubanjo D.A.O. (1987) ED. International Relations (Vol. 10)
Nigeria Since Independence: The First
Twenty Five Years, Ibadan, Heinemann Educational Publishers.
D.A.O. (1987) Phases and Changes in Nigerias Foreign Policy in Akinyemi,
A.B. Agbi, O and Otubanjo, D.A.O. (ed) International Relations Vol. 10
Nigeria Since Independence: The First Twenty-five Years, Ibadan, Heinemann
D.A.O. (1987) Nigerian and France: The Struggle for regional Gegemony in
Akinyemi A.B., Agbi O and Otubanjo D.A.O. (ed) International Relations Vol. 10 Nigeria since Independence: the first
Twenty-five Years Ibadan, Heinemann Educational Publishers, Chapter 5, Pp
D.A.O. (1987) The Military and Foreign Policy in Nigeria in Akinyemi A.B.,
and Agbi O. and Otubanjo, D.A.O. (ed) International
Relations Vol. 10 Nigeria Since Independence: The First Twenty-five Years,
Ibadan, Heinamann Educational Publishers Chapter 13, Pp. 226 250.
D.A.O. (1988) The Citizen and the State: The Balance of Obligations, African Philosophical Inquiry Vol.
12 Nos 1 & 2 Pp. 83 95.
D.A.O. (1988) Sources of African Interest in the Liberation of Southern
African with particular reference to the period 1970 1980 Nigerian Journal of International Affairs Vol.
15 No. 1, 1989, Pp 71 90.
D.A.O. (1989) The Mass Medial and Society The Story of the Tribune
D.A.O. (ed) (1989) Local Government
Autonomy Ibadan, African Press.
D.A.O. (1981) The Idea of Local
Government Autonomy, Chapter 1 of Local
Government Autonomy. African Press.
D.A.O. (1991) Socio-Cultural Factors in Human Rights Enforcement Report of Social Science Council of Nigeria
Project Sponsored by the Rockfeller Foundation.
D.A.O. (2000) The Challenges of Globalization National Universities Commissions Workshop for University Managers.
D.A.O. (2005) The Police and Human Rights Abuse in Nigeria in S.G. Ehindero
and E.E.O. Alemiko (eds) Human Rights
and Law Enforcement in Nigeria.
D.A.O. (2005) Small Arms Proliferation in Southern Nigeria Research Report for UNDP/Nigerian Committee
on Small Arms Proliferation.
D.A.O. (2005) Politics, Parties and Governance in Nigeria in Attitude Matters, by the National Orientation Agency (NDA).
42. Otubanjo D. A. O. (2003) “The Obasanjo
factor in the Victory of the PDP in the South
West”. The ROSTRUM, Magazine of the
Peoples Democratic Party
South West Zone.
43. Otubanjo D. A. O. (2011) Servant
Leadership in Nigeria National Orientation
Agency Annual Lecture.
44. Otubanjo D. A. O (2011) The Role of
Political Parties in Strengthening
Democracy Annual Training Workshop of the Institute of Security Studies, Abuja.
45. Otubanjo D. A. O (2013) Issues and
Challenges in Post Graduate Studies Political
Science Post Graduate Seminar, University of Ibadan.
46. Otubanjo D. A. O. (2012) Defence Attache
System and the Management of Terrorism in Nigeria Annual Conference of Defence Attaches
Organised by the Defence
47. Otubanjo D. A. O (2013) Religiousity and
Spirituality Annual Conference of AMORC (the Roscricasian Order)
48. Otubanjo D. A. O (2014) Can Nigeria be
Salvaged Chief S M Afolabi Memorial Lecture.
49. Otubanjo D. A. O (2014) Strategic
Communication for Peace and Conflict Resolution
Workshop Organized by the office of the
National Security Adviser for Media
50. Otubanjo D. A. O (2015) Christians and
Politics Mens Forum Special Programe,
Anglican Church Ibadan.
51. Otubanjo D. A. O (2015) Leadership and Nigerias Prospects Keynote Address at the Conference of the
School of Arts and Social Sciences, Michael Otedola College of Primary
Education, Epe, Lagos State.